Operational Strategy & Transformation – Case Studies – Royal Commission Jubail & Yanbu
The Royal Commission for Jubail and Yanbu (RC) is the master planning and development authority responsible for overseeing all infrastructure development in the Eastern Province of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The Jubail Industrial City, which supports the region’s petrochemical processing, provides approximately 8% of the Kingdom’s national GDP.
The Buildings Department (BD) within the Royal Commission was under pressure to improve the overall reliability and performance of their facilities maintenance and services to customers.
The key challenges and complexities that the BD faced included:
- A municipal estate growing rapidly at a rate of 9% per annum which would double the size of its building portfolio and associated maintenance demand over the next 20 years
- Low levels of end-customer satisfaction with overall maintenance services
- No clear view on future liabilities associated with the lifecycle costs required to maintain their building stock into the future
- Significant variation in the performance of supporting operations and maintenance (O&M) contractor services
- Lack of clarity about their role as an “intelligent customer” and the degree of oversight and the skill sets required to effectively conduct performance management of their contracts
Serco Consulting were asked to carry out an operational diagnostic in order to assess capability, identify key gaps and develop a road-map that would deliver world-class maintenance practices.
To trial the new operating model as well as demonstrate its value, Serco Consulting ran a three month pilot at one of the BD’s contract sites.
The Pilot was a success and once rolled out, saw a significant improvement across all key measures of operational performance including:
- A 210% improvement in technician productivity
- A 63% improvement in quality measured by requests fixed right first time
- A 75% reduction in the lead time to resolve work orders
- Customer satisfaction rising from 46% to 96%
- 95% of employees saying that they enjoyed their work better since implementation
- A 40% reduction in the total cost of maintenance
“This work has been truly transformative and has had an impact across all aspects of our operations. It has allowed us to take the first steps towards delivering a world-class asset management service to our customers.”
Director of Buildings Department, the Royal Commission of Jubail and Yanbu Saudi Arabia
To contact Operational Strategy & Transformation: Damon Dermody